Independent Auditor’s Report Concerning a Limited Assurance Engagement on the Non-Financial Group Reporting
To the Supervisory Board of Daimler AG, Stuttgart
We have performed an independent limited assurance engagement on the separate combined Non-Financial Report of Daimler AG and the Group as well as the by reference qualified parts “Business model”, “Legal risks” and “Non-Financial risks” according to §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e (further “Report“) of Daimler AG, Stuttgart (further “Daimler”) for the business year from January 1 to December 31, 2017.
The legal representatives of Daimler are responsible for the preparation of the Report in accordance with §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB.
This responsibility of the legal representatives includes the selection and application of appropriate methods to prepare the Non-Financial Report and the use of assumptions and esti-mates for individual sustainability disclosures which are reasonable under the given circumstances. Furthermore, the responsibility includes designing, implementing and maintaining systems and processes relevant for the preparation of the Non-Financial Report in a way that is free of – intended or unintended – material misstatements.
Independence and quality assurance on the part of the auditing firm
We are independent from the company in accordance with the requirements of independence and quality assurance set out in legal provisions and professional pronouncements and have fulfilled our additional professional obligations in accordance with these requirements.
Our audit firm applies the legal provisions and professional pronouncements for quality assurance, in particular the professional code for German Public Auditors and Chartered Ac-countants (in Germany) and the quality assurance standard of the German Institute of Public Auditors (Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer, IDW) regarding quality assurance requirements in audit practice (IDW QS 1).
Our responsibility is to express a conclusion based on our work performed of the Report within a limited assurance engagement.
We conducted our work in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance En-gagements (ISAE) 3000 (Revised): “Assurance Engagements other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information” published by IAASB. This Standard requires that we plan and perform the assurance engagement to obtain limited assurance whether any matters have come to our attention that cause us to believe that the Report for the period from January 1 2017 to December 31, 2017, has not been prepared, in all material respects in accordance with §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB. We do not, however, issue a separate conclusion for each sustainability disclosure. In a limited assurance engagement the evidence gathering procedures are more limited than in a reasonable assurance engagement and therefore less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement. The choice of audit procedures is subject to the auditor’s own judgement.
Within the scope of our engagement, we performed amongst others the following procedures:
- Interviews with employees on group level who are responsible for the materiality analysis to get an understanding of the process for identifying material topics and respective report boundaries for Daimler
- A risk assessment, including a media research, of relevant information about the sustainability performance of Daimler in the reporting period
- Assessment of the design and implementation of systems and processes for the collection, processing and monitoring of information on environmental, employee and social matters, human rights, corruption and bribery, including data consolidation
- Interviews with employees on group level who are responsible for the collection of the information to concepts, due diligence processes, results and risks, the conduction of internal controls and the information consolidation
- Evaluation of selected internal and external documents
- Analytical evaluation of data and trends of quantitative information which are reported by all sites on group level
- Assessment of local data collection and reporting processes and reliability of reported data via a sampling survey in Stuttgart and Mannheim (both Germany)
- Assessment of the overall presentation of the information
Based on the procedures performed and the evidence received to obtain assurance, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the Report of Daimler for the business year from January 1 to December 31, 2017 is not prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with §§ 315b and 315c in conjunction with 289b to 289e HGB.
This report is issued for purposes of the Supervisory Board of Daimler AG, Stuttgart, only. We assume no responsibility with regard to any third parties.
Our assignment for the Supervisory Board of Daimler AG, Stuttgart, and professional liability is governed by the General Conditions of Assignment for Wirtschaftsprüfer and Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften (Allgemeine Auftragsbedingungen für Wirtschaftsprüfer und Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften) in the version dated January 1, 2017 https://kpmg.de/bescheinigungen/lib/aab_englisch.pdf. By reading and using the information contained in this report, each recipient confirms notice of provisions of the General Conditions of Assignment (including the limitation of our liability for negligence to EUR 4 Mio as stipulated in No. 9) and accepts the validity of the attached General Conditions of Assignment with respect to us.
Stuttgart, February 9, 2018
| || |
|Dr. Thümler |