Our Sustainability Strategy 2030
We believe that a long-term sustainability strategy and effective sustainability management are the preconditions for ensuring that we remain one of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers in the future. As part of our Group-wide sustainability strategy, we set targets and define target indicators. Taken together, all of these targets form our comprehensive target program for the medium and long terms.
In the year under review we involved the relevant stakeholders in the restructuring of our sustainability strategy and reorganized our priorities with the help of a multistage materiality analysis. We have focused on the areas that are significantly influenced by our business model and our value chain — areas where we can actually bring about change. Our Sustainability Strategy 2030 concentrates on four focal topics:
3. Mobility services
4. Responsible conduct
Through our Sustainability Strategy 2030, we would like to explicitly help to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that were approved by the United Nations in September 2015. Our four prioritized focal topics and the sustainability-related activities that underlie them support the following Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in particular:
- SDG 8 — Decent Work and Economic Growth By developing and implementing a risk-based management approach to respecting and upholding human rights in our own units and our supply chain, we support the implementation of decent work as defined by SDG 8.
- SDG 9 — Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure Through the advanced development of automated and autonomous driving and the expected benefits for safety and climate protection, we demonstrate the long-term potential of digital innovations.
- SDG 11 — Sustainable Cities and Communities As the global leader for flexible car sharing (car2go), we support the creation of sustainable urban spaces for traffic and community life.
- SDG 12 — Responsible Consumption and Production By significantly reducing and reinforcing the material cycles of primary raw materials that are needed for our e-drive system, we are setting the course for sustainable production models in line with this SDG.
- SDG 13 — Climate Change By setting ambitious targets for reducing the emissions of our fleets, we are helping to protect the planet from the effects of climate change.
The Daimler Sustainability Strategy 2030 determines the structure of our sustainability management activities and our annual sustainability reporting. In addition, when we identified the key aspects to be addressed by this non-financial report, we took the focal topics of our sustainability strategy as our starting point. However, in some cases we emphasize different aspects because of the divergent requirements set by the standards and laws that are relevant to this report.